To gain a better understanding, it helps to take a peek into the 6 types of specialties in dentistry. Dentistry is a medical branch involved with diagnosing, preventing and treatment of dental problems. Those practicing it are known as dentists.
Treatments involve extractions of teeth that cannot be restored, tooth restoration in regard to dental carries also known as fillings, tooth scaling as a treatment of periodontal diseases, root canal in treatment of a decayed tooth and so on.
Dentistry is associated with oral cavity practices that are very important because dental problems are major public health problems that face the general public in day to day lives with tooth decay and gum disease being the most prevalent.
Treatments involve extractions of teeth that cannot be restored, tooth restoration in regard to dental carries also known as fillings, tooth scaling as a treatment of periodontal diseases, root canal in treatment of a decayed tooth and so on. Dentistry covers a wide range of studies but is sub divided into different specialties. Six types of dentistry specialties and the dental care associated with each are listed below:
1. Dental public health – It is a specialty associated with control and management of dental diseases. This is enhanced through promotion of dental practices that are good such as provision of dental health education and administering dental care programs. It is a branch that majorly focuses on communities as whole and not individual patients.
2. Endodontic – It is a specialty where periradicular tissue and the dental pulp are focused on. The normal pulp study, diagnosis and prevention of diseases that relate to the dental pulp are also included here. Dentists specialize in therapy for patients with complicated cases and also root canal.
3. Orthodontics and dentofacial orthopedics – Neuromuscular and orofacial skeletal abnormalities are focused on by this specialty. Malocclusions, among other problems in this category, are diagnosed, treated and prevented under orthodontic and dento-facial orthopedics. Corrective braces are also administered under this specialty.
4. Pediatric dentistry – This is concerned with children, infants and adolescents. Dental care for children with special need of dental health, preventative and therapeutic care, are focused the most under this specialty. Pediatric dentistry ensures younger patients get the special dental health care for optimal oral health.
5. Periodontics – This specialty handles issues that require supporting of the tooth’s structure. The general looks and health of these structures is guaranteed for by periodontics. Also, other diseases and conditions that relate to the tooth structure are treated. Diseases that relate to this specialty have different manifestations but others are prevalent such as gingivitis.
6. Prosthodontics – Focuses on patients with deficient or missing teeth. Through esthetic dentistry, re- constructiveness and implants, prosthodontics work to restore the teeth’s full oral function and support.
Most people simply go to a family dentist or typically called a general care dentist.
- Dentists at Work: Wikipedia